The husband, who at the moment was not at her side, but was sufficiently near to, hear the question, paid attention to the conversation, sitting up slightly, feeling secure, even filling his chest lightly in pride, knowing that his spouse would answer affirmatively, since she had always been there for him during their marriage.
Nevertheless, to his and others surprise, she replied simply, "No, no, he doesn't make me happy.........."
The room became uncomfortably silent, as if everyone were listening to the spouse's response. The husband was petrified. He couldn't believe that his wife was saying, especially at such an important occasion for him.
To amazement of her husband and everyone, she simply placed enigmatically on her head an elegant black silk scarf and continued: "No, he doesn't make me happy... I am happy! The fact that I am happy or not, doesn't depend on him, but on me. I am the only person upon whom my happiness depends. I make the choice to be happy in each situation and in each moment of my life. If my happiness were to depend on other people, on other things or circumstances on the face of this Earth, I would be in serious trouble! Everything that exists in this life, changes continually - humans, wealth, my body, the climate, pleasures etc. I could enumerate an infinite list.
Over my life I have learned a couple of things:
- I decide to be happy and the rest is only a matter of "Experience or Circumstance", like helping, understanding, accepting, listening, consoling... And with my spouse, I have lived and practiced this many times!
- Happiness will always be found in forgiveness and loving yourself and others.
- It is not the responsibility of my spouse to make me happy. He also has his own 'experiences or circumstances'. I love him and he loves me, often in spite of his circumstances and of mine.
- He changes, I change, the environment changes! These can be big or little, but they always happen. We must face them with the love that exists in each one of us. If the two of us love and forgive each other, the changes will only be 'Experiences and Circumstances' that enrich us and give us strengths; Otherwise we would only be 'Living together'.
- For some, divorce is the only solution (in reality, it is the easiest!). To truly love is difficult - It is to forgive unconditionally, to live, to take the experiences or circumstances as they are, face them together and truly be happy with conviction!
- There are those who say: "I can't be happy because I am sick, because I have no money, because it's too cold, because they insulted me, because someone stopped loving me, because someone didn't appreciate me!!! But you don't know that, you can be happy even though you are sick, whether it is too hot, whether you have money or not, whether someone has insulted you, or hasn't valued you.
Being Happy is an attitude and something each one of us must decide on!
Being Happy, depends on you.